Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pound Cake

One of the best baked goods I've ever had is my Aunt Paulette's Pound Cake. It is my "go to" recipe when I have extra sour cream and want to use it before it goes bad. This recipe is delicious, whether you eat it plain for breakfast or dessert, serve it with berries and whipped cream, or use it in a trifle. It's not as heavy as some other pound cakes that I've had and it has such a great taste to it. You can make a swirl one with chocolate, but I always just make the yellow cake. I think it tastes better that way, but everyone has their preferences. I've also made this in loaf pans and mini loaf pans (those make perfect gifts!), but making it in an angel food pan seems to come out the best for some reason. I've never tried this recipe in a bundt pan so I'm not sure how that would turn out. I'll have to experiment with that sometime. I have noticed that when I've made this in the loaf pans the center sometimes sinks in a little. Either way, it always tastes good. And what's even better is it's very simple to make - you combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix them together. It doesn't get much easier than that! I usually make two recipes and freeze one pound cake for later. Make sure if you're baking in a dark or nonstick pan to check on the cake before the time in the recipe. Mine were done in 55 minutes and probably could have even come out of the oven a few minutes earlier than that. To make it look nice, sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the top. You will not be disappointed with this recipe!

Edit August 2022: This batter comes out a bit better if you cream the butter and sugar together first, then add the sour cream, eggs and vanilla and mix it well, and then add the dry ingredients last.


One-Step Pound Cake

2¼ cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1¾ cups sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup sour cream
3 large eggs
*2 Tablespoon cocoa (optional, omit for yellow pound cake)

Grease and flour a 10” tube or bundt pan.  Combine all ingredients in large mixer bowl.  Blend at low speed.  Mix 3 minutes at medium speed.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes.  Cool at least 30 minutes in pan.

*If cocoa is used, you may also use ½ cup of whole wheat flour and reduce the all-purpose flour to 1¾ cups.

(Instead of baking in tube or bundt pans, you can bake this in 2 loaf pans – if so, reduce baking time by 10 minutes – check so that it does not get too dry.)

Pound cake batter


Fresh out of the oven!


Make two - freeze one for later!

Photos by JoJo

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment