Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mary Ann Cake with Mascarpone and Berries

A few months ago I found a recipe for a cake with a mascarpone cream filling and topped with berries. I searched all over to find a Mary Ann cake pan and it was not an easy task. I ended up finding one here and bought it. I had never even heard of these pans before I found this recipe.

Mary Ann Cake Pan (photo from www.kingarthurflour.com)

I bought my pan and wanted to try this recipe out, so I went to look for it online and couldn't find it any more! I emailed Williams-Sonoma and they were able to mail me a copy of the recipe, but when I received it, the recipe did not have mascarpone in it (the cream filling was just 1 cup heavy cream beaten with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar - another option if you don't have any mascarpone). I searched more online and luckily, I found a copy-cat recipe of the original Williams-Sonoma one that I had found.

I decided this morning to finally give this cake a try, and I loved it! The cake was very easy to make. There was more batter than would fit in the Mary Ann cake pan, so I used to rest to make six cupcakes. I used the whole 8 ounces of mascarpone, so I added a little bit more of everything else in the cream topping recipe. I had a bit of the cream topping leftover, which is fine by me - I'll have it with the leftover berries. This cake was delicious and presents well and I will definitely be making it again soon!

Photo from Williams-Sonoma


Mary Ann Cake with Mascarpone and Berries
Recipe courtesy Williams-Sonoma

Mascarpone is a soft fresh Italian cheese made from cream, with a texture reminiscent of sour cream. Delicate in flavor, this rich cheese pairs deliciously with fresh fruit.

CAKE:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
16 Tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1½ cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk

TOPPING:
2 cups mixed berries, such as blueberries, raspberries and sliced strawberries
4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
6 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup sour cream, at room temperature
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup chilled heavy cream, beaten to soft peaks
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting (optional)


Preheat an oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a Mary Ann cake pan.

To make the cake, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the granulated sugar, beating until blended. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla.

Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour, beating just until blended and no lumps of flour remain.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Carefully turn the cake out onto the rack and let cool completely, at least 1 hour.

Just before serving, prepare the topping: In a nonreactive bowl, combine the berries and 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and stir until well blended. Set aside.

In a small bowl, using a rubber spatula, gently combine the mascarpone, sour cream, vanilla and the remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Fold in the whipped cream. Spoon the mascarpone mixture into the well of the cake, spreading it to the edges. Arrange the berries on top of the mascarpone mixture. Dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar.

Serves 12 to 16.

Cake batter


Cake right out of the oven

Cake inverted - notice the little well for the filling!

Raspberries & blackberries

Strawberries


Mascarpone cream filling


Cake topped with berries & ready to serve!




This is what I did with the leftover cake batter & topping!

Photos by JoJo

8 comments:

  1. Thank you! I have the pan, but have not been able to find the recipe. I really appreciate that you showed there will be extra batter and filling and the creative uses you found for them. Very helpful.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I love this recipe. The last time I made it, instead of making cupcakes I used a shortcake pan that I had found on sale at my local Williams-Sonoma store (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/williams-sonoma-nonstick-shortcake-pan/). It worked perfectly using the two pans together, and the little shortcakes held the filling better than using it on top of the cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe you can find this recipe at William Sonoma's web site....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't bake often and I remember seeing a photo for this same cake but chocolate, and upon following the link I found the recipe was all in Russian! What would be a simple way to change this to a chocolate cake? (Don't laugh, I'm a high schooler with no baking experience! Lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made this cake in chocolate but I'm sure it would be good! Google "chocolate mary ann cake". This one looks pretty good http://therepressedpastrychef.com/2009/07/05/chocolate-maryann-cake/ or this one http://compthecheck.com/?p=375

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! I'll post about how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe. I just made the cake and everyone in my family enjoyed it. I had bought a May Ann cake at Goodwill. The pan I bought was from Williams-Sonoma and the batter filled it perfectly. I didn’t have any extra batter. When I went on William-Sonoma’s website, they were not selling it any more. So it was a great resale find for me. I plan on making this cake for future celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to find the pan and enjoy this delicious recipe! I'll have to try using all the batter in the pan next time - thank you for letting me know!

      Delete