Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Chips Ahoy Dessert

A year or two ago one of my co-workers brought a dessert to a work potluck lunch that everyone loved. I never asked her for the recipe until last week when we were talking about recipes we both found on Pinterest. She said it was really easy to make and only had three ingredients. What?! That's right - chips ahoy cookies, cool whip and milk. It had been a long time since I'd had this dessert, but I was surprised that's all that was in it. I've been wanting to try it out since then and finally had a chance to tonight. I actually found this recipe on a few websites and they were all very vague, so I will add a few details here.

First, make sure you buy Original Chips Ahoy (the crunchy ones, not the soft kind). Second, dip the cookies in milk but don't soak them. I dipped them for about 3 seconds each. Third, I made this in a 9x13" pan and it gave me two layers. Since I just made this to eat at home, that was be fine. If I were taking it somewhere else I'd either make it in a smaller dish or double the recipe so there are more layers. You can add chocolate shavings or crushed up leftover cookies to the top if you want. I added some mini chocolate chips to mine. I got a regular size container of Cool Whip, but maybe I should have gotten the bigger one. I used half of the container for each layer and it was barely enough Cool Whip to coat each layer. If I had homemade cookies I would have used them instead of the Chips Ahoy. If you want to attempt to make this healthier, you can use the Reduced Fat Chips Ahoy and fat-free Cool Whip. Lastly, my co-worker said to freeze it and the recipes I found online said to refrigerate it for a few hours or overnight. It may be a matter of personal preference. I chose to freeze mine so I could eat it sooner! This is probably the simplest recipe you can make and people will love it, so give it a try!



Chips Ahoy Dessert

Bag of Original Chips Ahoy cookies (crunchy, not soft)
Container of Cool Whip (thawed)
Glass of milk for dipping
Mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings (optional)

Dip cookies one at a time in milk for about 3 seconds each (just dip, do not soak them). Layer the bottom of a 9x13” pan with the cookies (it should be half of the bag of cookies). Layer half of the Cool Whip on top of the cookies, and then repeat another layer. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings on top layer of Cool Whip if you wish.

Cover and refrigerate 2-4 hours or overnight, or freeze and let thaw a bit. Cut into squares and serve.

NOTES: This recipe makes two layers in a 9x13” pan. Double the recipe or make in smaller dish for more layers. More cool whip may be needed (regular size container barely coats two layers).



First layer of cookies (I broke some in half so they'd fit)

First layer covered in Cool Whip


Two layers - ready to go in the freezer!

Photos by JoJo

Pin It

2 comments: