Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bread Dip

My friend Lisa's mom made this dip for a few parties that I went to and my sister and I loved it. She serves it in a bread bowl and cuts up pieces of bread for dipping. I decided to try it for the football games tomorrow. I had to run to the store to get a few of the spices I didn't have on hand. I couldn't find onion flakes or chopped onion spices, so I got minced onion instead. My local bakery was having a bread sale so I bought one round sourdough (to use for the bread bowl) and two round french boules (to use for dipping). My friend's mom uses rye and I think pumpernickel would go well too. You could really use any kind you like and get a variety of breads for dipping. I wasn't sure what people would eat so I just went with something basic. I also bought a bag of baby carrots in case the bread doesn't appeal to everyone. I'm excited to see how it comes out and what people think tomorrow!


Bread Dip

1 1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 cup plain yogurt
2 Tablespoons onion flakes or chopped onion (only used copped or flakes in the spice bottles, don’t use real onions)
2 Tablespoons parsley flakes
2 teaspoons dill weed
2 teaspoons celery salt
Round bread, plus extra bread for dipping

Mix all ingredients together and let set for at least 12 hours. If you want to add more spices after it sets, you can, but it takes about 12 hours for the taste to blend together.

Once it is ready to serve, hollow out a circle in a round rye bread (or whatever bread you choose). Put the dip into the bread and cut the remaining bread into bite-size pieces for dipping (dipping bread should be somewhat sturdy so it can be cut into bite-size pieces).

In addition to the above, you can also add chopped olives (about 12) and some people put chopped nuts (1/2 cup is plenty).



 Photos by JoJo

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment