Friday, July 2, 2021

M&M’S® Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie

It's almost the 4th of July and I recently found mini red white and blue M&M's at Target, so I had to bake something with them. My first thought was a skillet cookie. I've made a chocolate chip skillet cookie recipe a few times that was really good, but I wanted to try a different one to compare the two, so I searched online and came across this recipe which looked promising. It uses a mixture of M&M's and chocolate chips, but I only used M&M's and the 10 ounce bag was the perfect amount. When mixing in the M&M's, reserve some and put them on top of the skillet cookie before baking so that it looks nicer. I mixed 1 cup into the batter and spread the remainder of the bag on top.

This recipe is super easy and is perfect for a small crowd. I love using holiday colored M&M's and this is the perfect use for them. You can even wrap and freeze some of it for later if you're just making it for a few people (that's what I did).

I made this in my 12" Le Creuset cast iron skillet (my most loved and most used pan) and it was just to my liking after baking for 35 minutes, but a few minutes less would have also tasted good. I cut mine like a pizza using an OXO Nylon Lasagna Turner or an OXO Cut and Serve Nylon Turner so as not to scratch my enameled cast iron by using a knife.

I served the cookie slices slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream - it was delicious and my toddlers loved it! I'd say this recipe was a little bit better than the one I previously made, but they were both very good. I'll definitely be making this again soon.

It's been a very long time since I've used my DSLR camera to take pictures for a blog post, but I finally got my camera out today and took some photos while baking, rather than just using my iPhone while in a hurry like I have been doing for years. I even managed to get pictures of my taste testers, and a thumbs up from my picky eater who happens to love sweets!


M&M’S® Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie

Recipe courtesy “Sally’s Baking Addiction” Website

 

1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

½ cup granulated sugar

1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar

2 large eggs, at room temperature

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

2½ cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

¾ cup M&M’S® Baking Bits

Optional: ice cream and chocolate syrup

 

Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly grease your oven-safe skillet.*

 

In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat on medium high speed until fluffy and light in color. Beat in eggs and vanilla on high speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.

 

In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt together until combined. On low speed, slowly mix into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be quite thick. Add the chocolate chips and M&M’S®, then stir together or mix on low for about 5-10 seconds until everything is evenly disbursed.

 

Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, spread the cookie dough evenly into prepared skillet.

 

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until puffed, browned on the sides, and lightly browned on top. If you want your skillet cookie a little more cooked through, bake for 40 minutes. Allow the cookie to slightly cool in the pan set on a wire rack before digging in. You can scoop/slice and serve or serve with a whole bunch of spoons so everyone can dig in together. I always serve with ice cream and chocolate syrup. Cover leftovers and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

 

NOTES:

 

Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Prepare cookie dough through step 3. Cover dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 3 months in the freezer. If freezing, thaw in the refrigerator before continuing to the next step.

 

Skillet: The most important part of this recipe is using an oven-safe skillet. You want anything from 9 to 12 inches in diameter. When making skillet cookies, I always use my 10-inch cast iron skillet. As stated in the recipe directions, adjust the baking time. A larger skillet will take a little less time, a smaller skillet will take a little more time.





















No comments:

Post a Comment