Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Mascarpone Cream Filling

Several years ago I posted a recipe for a Maryann Cake with Mascarpone and Berries. It is one of my favorite desserts. I am re-posting the recipe just for the Mascarpone Cream Filling because it can be used with other types of cake - pound cake, shortcake, with fruit and no cake, or even just eaten by the spoonful - it's that delicious! It tastes so good with summer fruit like berries and would even be good with cut up peaches. I absolutely love mascarpone (even just plain) so this cream filling always hits the spot for me. 

I used my hand mixer with the wire whisk attachment to whip the heavy cream, and used a mini spatula to mix everything else together. I just bought new spatulas and I love them - they are Tovolo Flex-Core All Silicone Spatulas and Spoonulas. I found these while looking for a jar spatula after my OXO one disappeared, but I didn't like how the new OXO ones are made. I love that these spatulas are all one piece and are a dark color (I got them in blue) so they won't get stained like some of my white ones have. I ended up buying all of them except for the deep spoon, which I'll probably get as well. I'll mostly be using these for baking, but they can be used for cooking too and will be perfect for using in my Le Creuset enameled cast iron pieces.


Mascarpone Cream Filling
Recipe courtesy Williams-Sonoma

Mascarpone is a soft fresh Italian cheese made from cream, with a texture reminiscent of sour cream. Delicate in flavor, this rich cheese pairs deliciously with fresh fruit.


FRUIT TOPPING:
2 cups mixed berries, such as blueberries, raspberries and sliced strawberries
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar

FILLING:
½ cup chilled heavy cream, beaten to soft peaks
6 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup sour cream, at room temperature
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting (optional)


Prepare the fruit topping: In a nonreactive bowl, combine the berries and 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and stir until well blended. Set aside.

Beat the heavy cream to soft peaks.

In a small bowl, using a rubber spatula, gently combine the mascarpone, sour cream, vanilla and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Fold in the whipped cream.

Serve the mascarpone mixture on top of pound cake or short cake. Arrange the berries on top of the mascarpone mixture.

Serves 12 to 16.

Whipped Heavy Cream

Finished Mascarpone Filling

Fruit Topping

On top of pound cake


No comments:

Post a Comment