Monday, May 4, 2020

Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie

I recently ordered a 12" Le Creuset Cast Iron Skillet that finally came in today. I've been pretty excited to receive it and had in mind the perfect food to try in it first - I've never made a skillet cookie, pizza cookie, pizookie, or whatever you want to call it - it's just a giant cookie made in a skillet! This morning I received an email that my skillet was on the FedEx truck for delivery, so I searched specifically for a 12" skillet cookie recipe (most of them were for 8" or 10" skillets and I didn't want to have to adjust the recipe). I quickly found one that looked promising and had great reviews, so I took 2 sticks of butter out to soften and patiently waited for the skillet to arrive.

Just after lunch time, FedEx pulled up and delivered my package. After my kids went down for their naps, I checked the butter and it was softened enough to get started. This recipe is very simple to make. Waiting for the butter to soften is the hardest part!

Although adding coarse sea salt on top is optional, I highly recommend doing it. It just adds a nice little touch that you can taste in every bite. This is a fun dessert that can be customized however you like - I would have added chopped walnuts if my kids weren't eating it. Crushed potato chips is another great idea of something to add in to make it salty and sweet. You can use chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips, or different flavored chips altogether.

I baked this while my twin toddlers were napping and it was cooled down just enough to give them each a slice once they woke up. The reviews were in - one of them said it was "delicious" and "yummy" (while rubbing his belly, which I've never even seen him do before!) and the other was too busy eating to comment, but was asking for more before he was even finished!

A lot of people seem to top these with ice cream while it's still warm and dig in with a spoon. Messy isn't my style and a 12" cookie is also huge for the small amount of people currently in our house, so instead I used a nylon spatula to cut the cookie like a pizza. I actually froze two "quarters" of it separately, since I didn't want to be eating too much of it or have it go to waste. I left one quarter out for us to enjoy tomorrow!

This would be perfect for making when you have a small crowd over, but it's just as great to enjoy with the family on any day of the week. Give this recipe a try, you won't regret it!


The Ultimate Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
Recipe courtesy “Just A Taste” Blog

3 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1¼ cups sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
1 cup crunchy mix-in, such as chopped walnuts, crushed potato chips or pretzels (optional)
1 teaspoon flaky or coarse sea salt (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet with butter or Crisco.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set the bowl aside. 

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter with the sugar and light brown sugar. 

Add eggs, one at a time, until mixed in; then add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. 

Add the flour mixture into the stand mixer and mix just until the dough comes together. Beat in the chocolate until combined, and nuts or any other mix-ins that you desire. 

Scrape the dough into the skillet, then sprinkle it with the sea salt. 

Bake the cookie for 30 to 35 minutes until it is barely cooked in the center, or until it is done to your likeness. 

Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Top with ice cream, if desired, and eat with a spoon directly from the skillet, or cut into wedges like a pizza and dish out individual pieces.

Serves 8.








No comments:

Post a Comment