Sunday, January 7, 2024

Baking Essentials Review

A few years ago I posed a review on Mixing Bowls, Measuring Cups and Spatulas. I wanted to add an updated review with a few of my favorite baking products since some of them have changed.

My favorite mixing bowls are still the OXO Good Grips 3-piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set, so much so that I will probably purchase another set for myself. We use them so much for cooking, baking, marinating, and serving that it would be helpful to have 2 of each size. I can use my hand mixer in them too. I also let my pizza dough rise in them. I only use my other sets of mixing bowls if these are already in use. This set includes 1-1/2, 3 and 5 quart bowls. I like that they are stainless steel, but the white exterior makes them look nice, and the non-slip base is helpful to have when stirring and mixing. I also love that they nest together for easy storage.

My favorite spatulas are the Tovolo Flex-Core All-Silicone Spatulas. They are all one piece which means there are no little crevices for food or liquids to get stuck in. They are sold in a variety of colors, but I have the Deep Indigo ones. I prefer the dark color so they don't stain when using with tomato sauce and other foods that could stain them. You can purchase these individually in various shapes and sizes, but the most economical way to purchase them is in the 5-piece set. I find the various shapes and sizes to be very useful for different things. I used to love my OXO SoftWorks Silicone Spatulas, but I now use these Tovolo ones all the time and rarely use any of my others.

Two years ago I found the Sur La Table Stainless Steel Measuring Cups, Set of 8, which is a full set of measuring cups that includes a 2-cup size. This is such a helpful size to have for baking. What I love most is that this large set completely nests together so they are easy to store, and there are no crevices for food to get stuck in. This set includes 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup 1/2 cup, 2/3 cup, 3/4 cup, 1 cup, 1 1/2 cup, and 2 cup sizes. They also sell smaller sets of these cups which includes less sizes, but I highly recommend this full set. It is expensive but it goes on sale from time to time and is completely worth the money if you bake a lot! I like these so much more than the Williams-Sonoma stainless steel measuring cups that I originally loved, which had areas where food got stuck and were harder to clean, and also had rounded handles which made them uncomfortable to hold.



When I bought the measuring cups, I also purchased the matching Sur La Table Round Measuring Spoons, Set of 6 which includes a scraper, 1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/2 tablespoon, and 1 tablespoon sizes, along with the Odd-Size Measuring Spoons, Set of 7 which includes a pinch, 1/8 teaspoon, 2/3 teaspoon, 1 1/2 teaspoon, 2 teaspoon, 1/2 tablespoon and 2 tablespoon sizes. Again, they sell the measuring spoons in various sets, but I find it most beneficial to buy these two full sets so you have every size you could possibly need! It is really nice having the sizes that are not typically included with most other sets, like 1/8 teaspoon, 1 1/2 teaspoon, 1/2 tablespoon, 2 tablespoon. These sets go on sale as well. Both sets nest together into one, which makes these very easy to store. I still love and use my Williams-Sonoma stainless steel measuring spoons (an older set that is no longer sold), but I reach for these ones more and more since this set includes more sizes.


A new addition that I have not received or used yet is the Sur La Table Spice Measuring Spoons, Set of 6, which includes 1/8 teaspoon, 1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 3/4 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon sizes. These are narrowly shaped specifically to fit inside small spice bottles. These also nest together and like all of the measuring cups and spoons mentioned above, the sizes are etched into the stainless steel, so you don't have to worry about them rubbing off like they would on other sets.


For liquid measuring, I use Pyrex Measuring Cups. I have the 1, 2 and 4 cup sizes (these nest together for easy storage), along with the 8 cup with a lid, which I can't seem to find online anymore for a decent price. I use the 2 cup one the most, but find it helpful to have all of the sizes. This is a classic and timeless set of measuring cups that you can't go wrong with.



Sometimes it is more beneficial to weigh ingredients rather than measure them. I use the OXO Good Grips 11 lb. Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull Out Display when I am making pizza or pasta dough. This scale is so great to have and I admit that I don't use it as much as I should. It is much better to measure ingredients for baking (especially flour) by weight to ensure accuracy.


Lastly, I love using my OXO Cookie Scoops for baking - I have the small, medium and large sizes. The small and medium I use for cookies and the large I use for muffins. These not only make it easy to scoop out batter, but they help give you consistently sized baked goods.


These are my most highly recommended baking essentials. These items have all held up very well over time, but I will add that I don't put any of them in the dishwasher. I hand wash them since it takes no time at all to do so. I hope this review has been helpful. If there is a specific baking item you are wondering about that is not mentioned here, feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment