Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Mixing Bowls, Measuring Cups & Spoons and Spatulas Review

To see my new review from January 2024, please look here!

This review is about some important baking items - mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, and spatulas! If you enjoy baking and want to update old sets of these items or don't know what to register for, keep reading!


I'll start off with mixing bowls. I have three sets, and use two of them all the time. The OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set of 3 are my favorite. This set includes 1-1/2, 3 and 5 quart bowls. I like that they are stainless steel, but the white exterior makes them look nice, and the non-slip base is helpful to have when stirring and mixing. I especially like to use these when using my hand mixer.


The second set that I use all the time is the Melamine 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set from Williams-Sonoma. The bowls are 2, 3 and 4 quart sizes. They come in a variety of colors (red, grey, blue, white, yellow, teal). The available colors of these items tends to change, sometimes depending on the season (for example, orange in the fall). I chose the blue to coordinate with the other navy items in my kitchen. This set is pictured below (the round bowls), but is no longer sold. They do still sell the Melamine Mixing Bowls with Spout, Set of 3, also pictured below, and which I also have. Out of the two sets, I prefer the round ones and use those more often, but I do use both.



My third set of mixing bowls barely gets used. It is the 10-Piece Glass Mixing Bowl Set from Williams-Sonoma. These bowls are very nice, but I use them less simply because they are less accessible when I am baking, and I prefer to use the other bowls rather than glass if I am using a hand mixer in the bowl. However, I have found that these glass bowls come in handy when making this delicious almond cake bars recipe because you melt the butter in the biggest bowl, and then mix all of the other ingredients into that same bowl with a spatula. I am sure I will find more uses for this set in the future, as the varying sizes are nice to have and would be great for entertaining as well as baking.


Now on to measuring cups and spoons. My favorite set to use are the Williams-Sonoma Stainless-Steel Measuring Cups & Spoons. These come in boxed sets by even or odd sizes. My husband and I received both sets as wedding gifts, and I absolutely love them. The only thing that would make this set better would be if a 1/8 tsp, 1-1/2 tsp and a 2-cup measuring cup were included or available to buy separately. Unfortunately, these are becoming unavailable online, but you might still be able to find them in the stores. Hopefully Williams-Sonoma will come out with a replacement set that is just as nice.

Williams-Sonoma also sells a set of Narrow Measuring Spoons, which are useful for fitting into spice jars and other narrow containers. I appreciate that this set comes with a 1/8 teaspoon size! I especially like that both sets of the stainless steel measuring cups and spoons mentioned have the measurements engraved into them so they won't rub off like some sets that have them printed on.


I also have a set of Tupperware Measuring Cups & Spoons that I purchased on eBay years ago. My mom used to have Tupperware parties all the time and always used them, so I had to get a set! I have been using them less and less since receiving the stainless steel set, but it is always helpful to have an extra set of measuring cups and spoons when baking!

Lastly, spatulas. I will admit that I have an absurd amount of spatulas. My favorite baking spatula is the OXO SoftWorks White Silicone Spatula, so much that I have two. I also love using the red version of this spatula for red sauce so my white ones do not discolor. The jar spatula is helpful to fit into narrow jars. I also have a white spoon spatula that I don't use that often. OXO is one of my favorite brands of kitchen utensils, and I bought almost all of mine for great prices at Home Goods and TJ Maxx!


I also enjoy using my Williams-Sonoma Silicone Spatula with Classic Wood Handle. I bought the matching spoonula and mini set too while they were still available in navy, to coordinate with the other navy items in our kitchen. If this full set came in navy, we definitely would have registered for it!


I love to bake and these are some of my most used and loved baking tools. I hope my review has been helpful!

5 comments:

  1. Your post is good.Here are some serving/mixing bowls. That's are really looking nice. But Last week my mother bought some mixing bowls . Those were They are made of stainless steel. They are highly stylish in look .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job really it's great article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed the post! All these years later, the OXO Good Grips set is still my favorite and has held up very well with so much use over the years. We use them so much I've considered getting another set so I can have 2 of each size to use. https://www.oxo.com/3-piece-stainless-steel-mixing-bowl-set-389.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This guide's inclusion of a set of measuring cups and spoons as a kitchen essential is crucial. Consistency in measurements is key to successful cooking, and having a quality set ensures accurate results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to update this post - my new favorite measuring cups and spoons are the stainless steel ones from Sur La Table. I have this set up cups and both sets of spoons (the regular sizes and the odd sizes): https://www.surlatable.com/3332582-meas-cup-s8-ss/PRO-3332582.html?start=0

      Delete