Saturday, November 3, 2012

Apple Cranberry Pie

It's the beginning of November and I hadn't gotten a chance to make an apple pie until today. I had some Fuji apples from a local orchard, but picked up some Granny Smith and Honey Crisp apples too, as well as some cranberries. I used a Williams-Sonoma flaky pastry dough recipe for my crust. Not only was the crust delicious, but the recipe makes enough for a top and bottom crust and then another bottom crust, so tomorrow I'll be using that for a banana cream pie!

While my pie dough was in the refrigerator, I prepared the apple filling. The apple cranberry pie recipe below was given to me by my friend Bianca last year. This is the second time I've made it, but last time I used a store-bought pie crust. This time, I was using a pie dish that is a little deeper than most pie dishes, so I made a recipe and a half of filling (6 apples, 1.5 cups cranberries, etc.). It ended up being a little much, but still fit into the dish fine.

I used a vegetable peeler to peel the apples. Then I used an apple slicer to core and slice the apples. I cut the slices in half (although I should have cut them in threes, as the apples didn't bake as much as I would have liked). I cut the cranberries in half. I mixed the apple slices and cranberries together with flour, cinnamon and sugar and set aside while I rolled out the pie dough. After putting the top dough on, I sealed the edges and poked holes in the crust. I put it in the oven (with a cookie sheet on the lower rack just in case any juices came out of the pie) and enjoyed the lovely smell of fresh apple pie that filled up the house. After letting it cool a bit, I sliced two pieces to bring to my sister and brother-in-law. I noticed that the apples were a little harder than I wanted. Next time I will slice them a little thinner. In the end the pie still tasted great, especially with some vanilla ice cream! This is an easy and delicious fall dessert recipe, and I'm glad I finally had the chance to make it!


Flaky Pastry Dough
Recipe courtesy Williams-Sonoma

A food processor makes this flaky pastry dough in a snap. The recipe yields enough dough for three pies or galettes.

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
24 Tablespoons (3 sticks) plus 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
¾ cup ice water

In a food processor, combine the flour and salt and pulse briefly to mix. Scatter the butter over the top and pulse just until the mixture forms coarse crumbs about the size of peas. Drizzle the ice water over the flour mixture and pulse just until the dough starts to come together.

Transfer the dough to a work surface, divide into 3 equal pieces and press each into a flat disk. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour before rolling out.

Roll out one disk into a 12-inch round and line the pan or dish. Press any scraps trimmed from the first round into the bottom of the second disk. Roll out the second dough disk into a round at least 12 inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch thick and refrigerate until ready to use.

Makes three 9-inch pies.

Note: Pie dough may be made ahead and frozen for up to 2 months. To freeze, place the dough round on a 12-inch cardboard circle and wrap it well with plastic wrap. Alternatively, use the round to line a pie pan or dish, flute the edge and wrap well.


Apple Cranberry Pie

9-inch pie crust
1 Tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 large granny smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup chopped cranberries
½ cup sugar

Place all ingredients in mixing bowl and toss. Add apple mixture to crust and add top crust. Use a fork to crimp edges of top and bottom crusts together crust and poke holes in top crust.

Bake at 400° for 40 to 50 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.

Flour & salt

Add cold cut up butter


Pulse until it forms a coarse grainy mixture


Add ice water and pulse until dough forms

Form into 3 disks and refrigerate for an hour

Use a mixture of apples for best results - I used Fuji, Honey Crisp and Granny Smith


Add fresh cranberries for a little bit of a tart flavor

Slice cranberries in half

Peel, core, and slice apples

Add cinnamon, flour and sugar to apple/cranberry mixture

Roll out pie dough


Fill pie dough with apple/cranberry mixture


Add top dough, crimp edges, and poke holes in top


Finally, put it in the oven!

Nothing smells better than a fresh apple pie!




Photos by JoJo

No comments:

Post a Comment