Sunday, September 23, 2012

Banana Cream Pie

Banana Cream Pie is one of my favorite types of pie. It is especially good in the summer, and last weekend I realized I hadn't made it yet this year. My brother ordered a boxing fight and had a few people over to watch it, which gave me a good opportunity to make it (and not eat it all myself!). This recipe is from a family friend and has been in my family for many years. It is the best banana cream pie I've ever had.

This pie is so easy to make. I had an extra store-bought pie crust, so I baked that and let it cool. While it was baking, I made the pudding/sour cream mixture and the whipped topping. I refrigerated them until the crust was cool and everything was ready to put together. I used 3 bananas (luckily I bought these a day ahead so they were ripe by the time I made the pie). The pie dish I used is a 10½-inch dish, so the 9-inch pie crust did not fill out the sides. With this pie, that did not really matter. It actually worked better to use a larger dish because everything fit in it much easier. You could use cool whip on the top, but I prefer to make the whipped topping myself. It is easiest to use a whisk attachment on your mixer if you have one for the pudding and whipped cream topping mixtures.

This pie is simple and delicious and it was a huge hit. One of my friends who usually just makes fun of my cooking loved it and said to keep this recipe around. I surely will, and you should too!


Banana Cream Pie

1 baked pie crust
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk (milk can be increased to 1½ cups)
1 small package INSTANT vanilla pudding (you can use chocolate pudding if you prefer)
2-3 bananas

TOPPING:
½ pint whipping cream
1/8-1/4 cup confectionary sugar

Bake pie crust. Cool completely.

Using a hand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat milk and sour cream. Add pudding mix. Beat until thickened.

Place slices of bananas on pie crust. Cover bottom with bananas slices (at least 2 deep). Pour filling over bananas.

Using the whisk attachment, beat whipping cream with 1/8-¼ cup confectionary sugar. Beat until fluffy and firm. Spread over cream filling.

Refrigerate and serve anytime after one hour in refrigerator.

Emile Henry Artisan Pie Dish (Nougat)

Poke holes in pie crust before baking

My crust flopped a little

Add 2-3 sliced bananas


Pudding/sour cream mixture



Whipped cream mixture

Refrigerate until ready to serve!



Photos by JoJo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment