Sunday, June 10, 2012

Spinach and Strawberry Salad

Today we had a bridal shower for my cousin and I was asked to make a salad. I wanted to make something summery, and the first idea that came to mind was a spinach and strawberry salad. I searched online one day and found a bunch of recipes, and decided to go with Paula Deen's recipe. I was making this salad for 40 people, so I bought 3 containers of baby spinach and 2 containers of strawberries from Costco. I used two large cucumbers from Costco as well. Each container of spinach, once washed, fit into a large bowl. I mixed two of the bowls for the party and left the third unmixed in case I didn't need it so I could use the spinach for something else. We ended up only using about a bowl and a half, so I had plenty of everything left over, both mixed and unmixed.

Since Paula Deen's recipe is for a smaller amount of salad, I searched online for another dressing recipe. I found one that looked good and doubled it, using apple cider vinegar. I thought it complimented the salad well.


Spinach and Strawberry Salad
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
                                                         
1 (10-12 ounce) package baby spinach, washed and dried
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced

DRESSING:
½ lemon, juiced
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon poppy seeds

In large salad bowl, add the spinach, almonds, strawberries, and cucumber and toss together.

For the dressing: In a small glass bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, oil, and poppy seeds. Whisk together in the glass bowl or shake if using a jar.

Dress the salad right before serving.

The dressing that I actually made is as follows (this is a double recipe):


DRESSING:
1 cup vegetable oil
½ cup white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
½ cup white sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and whisk together.


Photos by JoJo

No comments:

Post a Comment