Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Original Old Bay Shrimp Boil Shrimp Fest

A few weeks ago I was searching the Old Bay website for recipes and found one that caught my eye, and Old Bay Shrimp Boil. I had just been to Joe's Crab Shack with a friend and had ordered one of their steam pots, and this recipe is the same kind of idea. I love how everything in the steam pots tastes like Old Bay (at least that's the one I always get!). I made my shrimp boil this past weekend for my family and everyone seemed to enjoy it. It's a great summertime meal and with a nice variety of food. This recipe combines shrimp, sausage, corn, and potatoes together, all seasoned with Old Bay! It is a quick recipe which makes it perfect for those summer nights when you don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The timing in the recipe worked perfectly for me. Everything was cooked just right by the end. The only things I did different were that I added a lemon to the pot (I saw it in a similar recipe), and I used spicy Italian sausage instead of smoke sausage. I boiled 4 sausage links in a separate pot for about 10 minutes before slicing them up and adding them to the big pot. Some of the amounts of ingredients that I used were different from the recipe (1 onion, a little less shrimp). I added more Old Bay to my plate as well for a little extra taste.

This recipe makes a lot - I served 7 people with it and still had enough left over for another 3 or 4 people. I will definitely be making this recipe again this summer!


The Original Old Bay® Shrimp Boil Shrimp Fest

4 quarts water (16 cups)
1 can (12 ounces) beer (optional)
½ cup Old Bay® Seasoning
2 Tablespoons salt
8 medium red potatoes, quartered
2 large onions, cut into wedges
2 pounds lean smoked sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces
8 ears fresh corn, shucked and halved crosswise
4 pounds unpeeled jumbo shrimp (21 to 25 count)

Bring water, beer, Old Bay Seasoning and salt to boil in 12-quart stockpot on high heat. Add potatoes and onions. Cook 8 minutes. Add smoked sausage. Cook 5 minutes. Add corn. Cook 7 minutes.

Stir in shrimp. Cook 4 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.

Drain cooking liquid. Pour contents of pot into large serving bowl or platter. Or, mound on paper-covered table. Sprinkle with additional Old Bay Seasoning, if desired.


My beer of choice for this dish

The key ingredient - Old Bay

8 Red Potatoes, quartered

8 ears of corn, shucked and broken in half

The first of the food to go in the boiling water/beer/Old Bay pot

Second to go in - 4 links of sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces

Add the corn

Last addition - 3 pounds shrimp, unpeeled

Almost done!

Finished product!

Photos by JoJo

4 comments:

  1. There are so many of these steampot recipes online, but this one is BY FAR the best of them all! I made this for my family who came to visit, and I live near the beach so I wanted to give them a "coastal" experience. These instructions are so easy to follow, I love how you spelled out everything down to the amount of minutes for each ingredient. My family said it was the best meal they had ever had, better than any restaurant! Thank you so much for this recipe, I am making it again this weekend for a different group of weary travelers that are in for a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad your family enjoyed this recipe, and I hope your guests this weekend enjoy it just as much. It is a simple summertime meal that can feed quite a few people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe was so delicious! Thank you so much for this recipe. I made it for my father for his birthday dinner and he loved it! Will definitely be making this again and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you and your father enjoyed it!

      Delete