Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Peanut Butter Blossoms

My older sister used to make Peanut Butter Blossoms every year around Christmas. I had never made them until this year. On Christmas Eve I decided to give them a try. I bought a bag of milk chocolate Hershey's Kisses and a bag of dark chocolate ones (I prefer the dark!). I used a medium cookie scoop, which worked well. For my first time making them they came out pretty good. If you love peanut butter, these are great cookies to make!

Edit December 2022: I made 1 recipe of these today. The medium cookie scoop looked like it would make them way too big, so I used a small cookie scoop (do not overfill the scoop, make it level). I got 48 cookies out of 1 recipe, just like I should have. One 10-ounce bag of dark Hershey's Kisses had 62 kisses in it, so I would not have been able to use one bag for a double recipe (I can never remember how many bags to get for 1 or 2 recipes, so this is my reminder for next year!).


Peanut Butter Blossoms (Hershey’s Kisses on Top)

48 Hershey’s Kisses Brand Milk or Dark Chocolates
½ cup shortening
¾ cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar

Heat oven to 375°. Remove wrappers from chocolates and put chocolates in freezer until needed.

Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned (be careful not to overcook them). Immediately press a chocolate into center of each cookie; cookie will crack around edges. Transfer from cookie sheet to another cookie sheet that is not warm and freeze immediately so the chocolate does not melt.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Hershey's Kisses!

Dark Chocolate

Milk Chocolate


 
Cookie dough

Cookie dough rolled, before sugar was added

Cookie dough rolled in sugar

Dark chocolate Hershey's Kisses on these ones!

And milk chocolate on these!

Photos by JoJo

Pin It

1 comment: