Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Egg Pasta Dough for Divina Cavatelli Pasta Maker

I recently posted a Semola Pasta Dough recipe for my new Divina Cavatelli Pasta Maker. I wrote out the recipe below based on this video (which is very helpful to watch). I have not made this recipe yet, but it is very similar to the recipe I've used for my other cavatelli maker, so I imagine it will work very well with this one too! I typically use Anna 00 flour when I make pasta and pizza, but this Caputo 00 Flour and Semola Flour pack (2 of each kind of flour) is great to buy if you don't already have any pasta flour.

A note on this cavatelli maker - it is not intended for ricotta based recipes as that dough would be too soft. A gnocchi board would be perfect for ricotta based dough.

I purchased this from Consiglio's in Canada, but you can also buy it directly from Tagliapasta, however the shipping to the USA will cost a lot more. Tagliapasta's website also offers some accessories like a clamp (not needed unless you are using it on a rough surface that the suction cup will not stick to - I had no problem using it on my granite countertop) and a storage bag. It's also available on Amazon and Etsy. I found Consiglio's price to be the best and they had a 5% discount, no tax and free shipping. I also noticed the price dropped $12 a few days after I placed my order, and I contacted their customer service to ask if they would refund me the difference and they did. I ended up paying $102.59 for it, which is not bad for something made this well.

I highly suggest using a kitchen scale to precisely measure the flour. If the dough is too dry as you are working with it, add a bit of water and if it's too wet, add a bit more flour, until you get it right. Of course, you can adjust this recipe to make more or less of it. Use 1 egg for every 100 grams of flour. If you're trying to figure out how much to make for the amount of people you are feeding, I've always read to figure 1 egg and 100 grams of flour per person. For my family, that would be 400 grams and 4 eggs, but I always like to make a little extra so I'll be making the recipe as it is written below.

I will update this post with more info and photos after I make it.


Egg Pasta Dough for Divina Cavatelli Pasta Maker

 

By using the Divina product, you can prepare three different types of cavatelli in just a few minutes.

 

 

250 grams 00 flour

250 grams semola flour

*or you can use 500 grams of 00 flour only

5 large eggs, at room temperature (never use cold eggs!)

 

 

To make the dough using a food processor:

Mix flour and eggs together in a food processor until the dough incorporates. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil plus a pinch of salt (optional). Pulse until dough forms. Knead by hand until soft and smooth.

 

To make the dough by hand:

Put the flour on a work surface and make a well in it. Add eggs to the well and beat them with a fork, adding a little flour at a time to the eggs. Continue mixing the flour and eggs together until it is all incorporated. Knead for several minutes until smooth. Form into a ball.

 

Wrap the dough ball and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.

 

Cut off a section of dough to use and wrap the rest up again so it does not dry out. Roll out thin pasta ropes about 1-2cm wide. If you're having trouble rolling them, wet your fingertips a little bit. Dust ropes with flour and run them through the machine (not too fast). Immediately separate the pasta pieces and sprinkle them with a little bit of flour so they do not stick together. Repeat these steps with the rest of the dough, alternating between the three different pasta shapes.

 

Let the pasta dry for at least 30 minutes before boiling them. Eat fresh or freeze for later.


No comments:

Post a Comment