Thursday, July 21, 2016

Pecan Sandies

A few days ago I made an Amish Sugar Cookie recipe with a few changes based on reviews I read, and decided to make them into Pecan Sandies the next day. These were delicious! I did not refrigerate the dough since I was not rolling these out, but you certainly can if you want to. This recipe was so simple to make, and took no time at all. I apologize for the iPhone photos, but I was in a hurry and didn't use my camera for this recipe.

Like most of the other cookie recipes I've made, one recipe fits perfectly in a 1-gallon rectangular container for easy freezing - just put plastic wrap in between the layers of cookies. These are a great price considering that you can use them over and over again. I just stocked up since I only had one container before. Now I have 5 containers full of cookies in my freezer that I will take out and put on trays on the day of the party.

If you like pecans and shortbread cookies, give this recipe a try. Pecan Sandies used to be the only kind of store-bought cookies I would eat. Now I won't be tempted to buy them any more!

Pecan Sandies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup Crisco
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups toasted pecans, finely chopped

To toast pecans, spread them in a baking pan and bake at 350° until golden brown, about 6-10 minutes, stirring often. Once cooled, chop them finely in a food processor.

In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, Crisco and sugars. Beat in eggs until well blended. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in pecans. Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours (optional).

Drop by small teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass, if desired, or push a pecan half into the center of the cookies before baking (optional).

Bake at 350° for 8-11 minutes or until lightly browned – do not overbake! Remove to wire racks to cool.

Yield: about 5 dozen.




 





No comments:

Post a Comment