Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Almond Cake Bars

I went to a few parties over the past few months where my friend Steve's mom made almond cake bars that were so delicious. I saw her at another party recently and asked her for the recipe. I had been looking for recipes (other than cookies) to bake to send to my husband while he is deployed, and thought these would work well. I sent him a box last week that included some of these bars, and he loved them! I made another batch tonight to bring to my family's Christmas dinner.

These bars are very simple to make. You mix everything in one bowl, then spread in a pan (she uses a 9" springform but I used a 9" square pan) and top with sliced almonds and sugar. To send to my husband, I packaged them with plastic wrap in a food container and froze them until I was ready to mail the package. They got to him 5 days later and still tasted great! This is a delicious recipe that is easy enough to make when you need a quick dessert, and is also a good recipe to make with kids. The hardest part is waiting until they cool to slice and eat them!

 
Almond Cake Bars                                            
~ Carolann Antos Barbieri

Bars
¾ cup butter, melted
1½ cups sugar
2 eggs
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ teaspoons almond extract
1½ cups flour

topping

¾ cup sliced almonds
1 Tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pan.

Melt butter in a large microwave safe bowl for about 1 minute. Use that same bowl to mix all of the ingredients. Add sugar and stir. Add eggs to the mixture and stir until creamy. Add salt, extracts, and flour.

Spread the batter into the pan. Sprinkle almonds evenly over the top of the batter, then sprinkle the sugar evenly over the almonds.

Bake for 40-45 minutes.

Serve as a cake or cut into little squares.

Makes 16 bars.



Melted butter

Stir in sugar

Stir in eggs

Stir in rest of ingredients

Spread in 9" pan

Add sliced almonds and sugar

Bake for 40-45 minutes

Fresh out of the oven



Cut into squares


Photos by JoJo

No comments:

Post a Comment