Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Italian Wedding Soup

Last year my sister Maria sent me an Italian Wedding Soup recipe she makes for her family. I never got around to making it, but I recently saw an Instagram reel from Dena Fenza and it reminded me I still needed to try it, so I tried Dena's recipe tonight, and it was incredible! Both of the recipes linked above are pretty similar in terms of the ingredients (although the amounts differ slightly), but Dena browns her meatballs on the stove and the other recipe bakes them in the oven.

This soup takes a little more time to prepare than other soups because of having to form the little meatballs, but it is well worth the effort! You can do some of the prep ahead of time - I chopped the veggies and made the meatball mixture in the early afternoon. I used a teaspoon measuring spoon to scoop the meat mixture so they would all be the same size. I counted about 75 mini meatballs! I refrigerated them on a plate until after I picked up my kids from school - that made it easy to start cooking as soon as I got home. I made it in my large wide round dutch oven so there was plenty of room to brown all the meatballs at once. I cooked my Acini Di Pepe separately so it wouldn't get too soft, which worked out well for my picky eater who only wanted broth and pasta.

The recipe below reflects any changes I made to the original. I thought the soup was perfect!


Italian Wedding Soup

Recipe Adapted from Micia Mammas Blog

 

Italian wedding soup is a kid friendly, easy and delicious soup that everyone will love. The soup is made up of broth, veggies, pasta and the star of the recipe is cute mini meatballs. It is a perfect soup for a cold winter day. 

 

This Neopolitan soup is originally called “minestra maritata”, which translates to “married soup” It is not served at Italian weddings but its meaning refers to how its flavors come together in a beautiful marriage!

 

Growing up this soup was a dish that my Grandpa made all the time.  I can still remember helping him roll the mini meatballs. He taught me to sear the meatballs first. It adds such great flavor to the soup. The smell of it just brings me right back to his kitchen. 

 

 

Meatballs:

½ pound ground pork

½ pound ground beef

¼ cup panko breadcrumbs

¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese

1 egg, beaten

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

¾ teaspoon garlic powder

3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 3 teaspoons dry parsley

¼ cup olive oil

 

Soup:

1 cup onion, diced

1 cup celery, diced

1 cup carrots, peeled and diced

64 ounces chicken broth

1½ teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon pepper

5 ounces baby spinach

1 pound Acini Di Pepe pasta

 

 

In a bowl, combine the pork and beef with the bread crumbs, Pecorino Romano, beaten egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder and chopped fresh parsley. Form into mini meatballs (about 1 teaspoon or less each).

 

In a soup pot over low/medium heat add ¼ cup of olive oil. Add in the meatballs, working in batches if you have to. Once browned on all sides (about 8 minutes), remove from the pan.  Repeat this process until all the meatballs are cooked and removed from the pan. This oil has great flavor but you will need to remove half of it from the pan or else the soup will be too greasy. Also, try to strain out most of the remaining brown bits from the pan.

 

Next, add in the onion, carrots and celery and cook on a low flame for about 10 minutes or until they become soft. Season with salt and the black pepper. Stir the mixture and cook for about 2 more minutes. Add the meatballs back in and then add in the broth. Raise the temperature to low/medium and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes, making sure the veggies are cooked. Add the spinach and cook a few minutes longer, until the spinach wilts. Taste for seasoning and add salt or pepper if needed.

 

When there are about 15 minutes of cooking time left, cook your pasta and drain and put in a bowl.  You can add a small amount of olive oil to the pasta so that it does not stick together. I don’t like to cook the pasta in the soup because I find it becomes too soft. Serve the soup with the pasta and top with grated Pecorino Romano cheese.

 

Serves 7.






No comments:

Post a Comment