Monday, August 26, 2024

Easy Soft Italian No Knead Bread

One of my favorite recipe websites and Instagram pages to follow is Cucina by Elena. Her recipes all look so good and are authentic Italian. She always posts about this recipe she refers to as "Mom's bread" that she makes all the time, an Italian no knead bread that her mom taught her how to make. There is a video here of her making it.

She has various Instagram reels and posts with links to ingredients and tools she uses, but to simplify I'll link them below. Her mom recommends using a "bread box" to store all the ingredients so it's easy to just pull it out and mix the dough. The amount of the needed ingredients are written right on the containers as well, to make it even easier. Here are her links to:

I don't find it necessary to buy these items, as all of my baking ingredients are in the same general area of my kitchen and I would have nowhere to store a bread box, but I wanted to link them for anyone who might want to do what she does. However, I did buy one of the Mason Cash mixing bowls in the Turquoise color - yes, from Home Depot, of all places. They give a 10% military discount and I had a gift card so it hardly cost me anything. It's big, lightweight, pretty and perfect for many recipes that I make. I also bought a dough hook because it looks perfect for mixing not only bread and focaccia dough, but also pancake, cake and muffin batter. I might try the Kamut flour at some point, but right now I will use what I already have - either King Arthur All-Purpose or Anna 00 flour.

She didn't link the steel cut oats or ground flaxseed that she uses, but I used Bob's Red Mill Organic for both of them. The ground flaxseed meal comes in both golden and regular - she says to use either one (I used golden so the color would blend into the bread more, in the hopes my picky eater would not notice!). I was able to find these at the commissary we shop at, and once I had them, I mixed a batch of dough that same night to bake in the morning.

For my first loaf, I baked it in a small round dutch oven. It was so delicious! My boys said "Mom's bread is the best bread!" after they first tried it. My dough came out pretty wet and did not look like hers does in the videos, so next time I will weigh my flour and see if it comes out more shaggy like it should. Other than that, it was very quick and easy to make and very good.

For my second loaf, I baked it in a new bread loaf baker that I recently bought. This was my first time using it - to avoid sticking, I used lightly floured parchment paper and it worked perfectly. This time around, I weighed my flour instead of measuring it in measuring cups and my dough was a lot easier to work with, so recommend doing that if you have a scale. I also used my new dough hook which made mixing very easy. After making it in both shapes, I definitely prefer the loaf pan. The bread again was very delicious.

If you enjoy homemade bread, give this recipe a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment