Saturday, October 28, 2023

Oven Braised Chuck Pot Roast

A few nights ago I made a delicious pot roast. I found this recipe while searching online. I've only made pot roast a few times and have never loved the recipes I've tried - until now! I don't like using a slow cooker so I was specifically looking for a recipe to make in a braiser.

I made a few changes to this and it was delicious! I did not add celery like the recipe calls for. I added red wine towards the end (I'm not sure how much I put, probably 1/2 cup to 1 cup), which made it taste so good! I love adding wine to dishes like this. I used an Angus Beef Boneless Chuck Roast from Giant that was a little over 3 pounds and a bag of mini honey gold potatoes. I used more carrots than the original recipe calls for (it calls for 2 and I used 6). I also did not have fresh thyme, so I added a little bit of dried thyme and rosemary. I had 8 ounces of baby bella mushrooms that I chopped and was going to add towards the end, but when I checked it at 3 hours it was already done cooking, so I just cooked those separately and then added them to my dish. This worked out well because my husband doesn't care for mushrooms as much as I do so he left them out of his. I made this in my 3.5-qt. Braiser, which was a bit of a squeeze. Next time I will make it in something a bit larger. This fed 3 adults with enough leftover for 3 more adult servings. This was really delicious and I will definitely be making it again soon. If you try it, make sure you add some red wine!

Update January 2024: I made this again tonight but this time I made it in my 6.75-qt. Wide Round Dutch Oven, which worked much better than in my braiser. I used the full amount of salt and pepper called for in the original recipe (2 tablespoons of each), and I thought it was way too much. This was still delicious but I thought it tasted better the first time I made it, so next time I will use the amounts in the recipe below and see how that tastes. I set my oven timer to 2.5 hours, and the meat was ready, so I sautéed the mushrooms separately and added them in. This is the perfect winter meal, served with some crusty bread to soak up that yummy sauce with!


Oven Braised Chuck Pot Roast

Recipe adapted from “Sweet Tea + Thyme” Website

 

The perfect pot roast doesn't have to come from a slow cooker! This oven braised New-England-style chuck roast with vegetables is a fork-tender, juicy, and absolutely delicious recipe that's perfect for a family dinner.

 

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil

1 (3-4 pound) boneless chuck roast

6 large carrots, roughly chopped

1 medium yellow onion, sliced into ½” slices

5 cloves garlic, smashed

3 sprigs fresh thyme (or some dried thyme and dried rosemary)

2 pounds baby gold potatoes, cut in half

1 Tablespoon kosher salt

1 Tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

2 cups (16 ounces) beef broth or stock

½ to 1 cup red wine (optional)

8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, chopped

 

 

Preheat oven to 350°F.

 

Season all sides of the chuck roast generously with salt and pepper.

 

In a large dutch oven or oven-safe braiser on your range over medium-high heat, add your high heat oil and wait until the oil is shimmering hot (that means it looks like it's doing a little shimmy in the pot, it's moving a little) then add the seasoned chuck roast.

 

Sear the chuck roast on each side until it gets a deep brown crust, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the chuck roast from the pan and set it aside onto a plate.

 

Turn the temperature down to medium, then add the chopped carrots and onions to the pot. Sauté the vegetables for five minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the vegetables start to turn golden brown. Add the garlic, thyme, and rosemary and cook for about two minutes. Add some red wine (optional).

 

Place the chuck roast back into the pot, add in the potatoes and beef broth, and put a lid on your pot (you can also use aluminum foil if you don't have a lid).

 

Cook pot roast for 2.5 to 4 hours, checking at 2 hours for fork-tenderness. Once fork tender, take the roast out of the oven.

 

If you want to add chopped mushrooms, either add them in the last half hour of cooking, or sauté them separately and add them in once you take the roast out of the oven.

 

Let the pot roast rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with vegetables and pan drippings or pan dripping gravy.


Before going in the oven (made in braiser)

Before going in the oven (made in dutch oven)


Saute the mushrooms and add them in at the end

No comments:

Post a Comment