Monday, May 27, 2013

Texas Sheet Cake

Today is my mom's birthday and I wanted to make her a chocolate cake. Earlier this month my aunt made a Texas Sheet Cake and I realized I had never tried the recipe, so that's what I made today. This cake was so easy to make. I used a 17"x12" cookie sheet with sides on it for the cake. Once it came out of the oven I poured the icing on, and then it was done! The only suggestion I would make is to sift the confectioners' sugar used in the icing so there are no lumps in it. I did not use a mixer for this recipe. I used a whisk to smooth out both the cake batter and the icing. If you love chocolate, you will not be disappointed with this recipe!


Texas Sheet Cake
                                                                                   
Grease and flour cookie sheet with sides (15”x10”x1” Jelly Roll pan or 17”x12”x1” pan).

CAKE:
2 sticks margarine
1 cup water
4 Tablespoons cocoa

Bring to a boil until dissolved. Remove from heat.

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

Add to above mixture.

2 eggs
½ cup sour cream

Beat into above mixture.

Bake at 375˚ for 22 minutes.

ICING:
1 stick margarine
4 Tablespoons cocoa
6 Tablespoons milk

Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.

1 box 10x (confectionary) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla    
1 cup walnuts (chopped) (optional)

Add to above icing mixture.

POUR ICING OVER CAKE AS SOON AS IT COMES OUT OF OVEN.

Cake batter

Cake right out of the oven

Icing poured on cake

Cut & enjoy!


Photos by JoJo

No comments:

Post a Comment