Sunday, November 24, 2013

Stuffed Macaroni Shells

Lately I've been wanting to try a new stuffed shells recipe. The stuffed shells recipe that I usually make has spinach in it, and I wanted to make one with just cheese. My grandmother gave me a cookbook a few years ago called The Roseto Cuisine Cookbook and it had just what I was looking for.

Stuffed shells require few ingredients and are very easy to make. I use a potato masher to mix the cheeses and eggs. I boil the shells a few minutes less than the package says so they are easier to fill and don't break apart. Then I layer the filled shells on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or plastic wrap and put them in the freezer until they are frozen (it's easier to freeze them in bags after the cheese is already frozen in the shell).

I left only 6 shells out, enough for two night's dinners for me, and put the rest in ziploc bags and froze them for future dinners. I put the shells that I left out in two separate small dishes, opened a small can of tomato sauce and divided it between the two dishes, sprinkled the sauce with a little Italian seasoning, then covered them with foil and baked them. I paired my shells with a salad and focaccia - it was a delicious Sunday dinner!

Edit May 2024: This is my favorite stuffed shells recipe! I find that the San Giorgio Jumbo Shells tend to have less waste than the Barilla Jumbo Shells - Barilla shells are thinner and always have more that are broken or fall apart. I parboil the shells, drain them, set them out in single layer on a baking sheet that is lined with plastic wrap (rather than putting olive oil on them which makes them slippery and harder to fill!), and then I fill the shells with about 1 tablespoon full of filling (using the tablespoons from my everyday flatware - not a measuring spoon). I always have a few empty shells left, which I cook with the stuffed shells for anyone who wants some empty ones. I usually flash freeze the shells and bake them later, so I usually bake them at 400º for 45-60 minutes. I added some notes below on freezing and baking the frozen shells.


Cheeses, parsley and eggs


Boiled shells

Stuffed shells

Frozen shells


Top with sauce

Right out of the oven


Photos by JoJo

Updated photos from September 2021:












No comments:

Post a Comment